Wednesday, January 26, 2011

New Year Resolution Complete!

As I've stated over and over again, I really wanted to finish some UFOs in 2011. Especially with a new baby on the way.  With only 3 months to go, I'm ready to make some gorgeous baby stuff. (Like all of the gorgeous things Ashley has been making lately).

So here is UFO finish number 1.  I'm actually quite proud of this one. It's big. It's huge. And I made it all by myself.


A Quilt for my Sister.



Although there are no designer fabrics in this one (I pieced the top before I became a fabric snob), I still love it. The pattern was originally from McCalls Quilting and called Roots. (sorry, it doesn't seem to be online anymore).

Almost all of the quilt.

I was going to call it "Nobody is Perfect" because it really, really, really isn't perfect. The quilting is crooked, the star points don't match, and there is a bit of a ripple in the border. But since it is for my sister, I figure she might take offense.

Outdoor photo shoots are trickier than they appear. Especially with 3 feet of snow in the backyard.
Any ideas on a good name for this one?

It is now raining here in Prince George, so I thought I'd share some photos of the weekend. It was gorgeous, warm and sunny and we had so much fun skating on our community outdoor rink.
My daughter wearing my sunglasses.
My son really only wants to play hockey...it's time for some 'real' skates.
Enjoy your Wednesday!

11 comments:

~Michelle~ said...

ooh, I like the pattern of that quilt - now think how awesome it would look in Flea Market Fancy?? Fabric snobs, unite! Well, it's like an Irish chain plus Stars - so the dork in me thinks something like "When Irish Stars are Smiling" for the name

Comfort Cove Designs said...

That quilt is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!

I remember last year when I was down to the last few months of pregnancy, I was quilting and sewing up a storm!!! Glad I did cause for the first few months after my son was born I didn't get to play in my sewing room!

I too am hoping to hit my UFO cabinet this year!

Quiltingly Yours
Andrea

QuiltNut Creations said...

love the quilt! congrats on finishing!

Andi said...

A very beautiful quilt.
You're good to give it away.
Not sure I could do it!!

Holly said...

Congrats on finishing a UFO! The quilt looks lovely in the snow.

I totally hear you about making cute baby stuff - I just got Handmade Beginnings out of the library and was planning to make some Quick Change Trousers (using Meg McElwee's cloth diaper alteration). They're so cute! And so much quicker to make than a quilt!

Needled Mom said...

What a gorgeous quilt that is!!! I love all of the different scrappiness of it.

felicity said...

Beautiful!

Those beautiful colours seem to twinkle like jewels on the white. Twinkling Jewels?

Poppyprint said...

Oh, wish I could help, but I'm utterly hopeless at naming quilts. It's a wonder I can give my blog posts a title every time! It is a fantastic quilt and I'm sure your sister will love it no matter what you name it (and she won't see any of the so-called flaws that you do, I'm sure!).

I so miss skating outdoors from my childhood in Ontario. We did live in Toronto for 2 winters 11 years ago and I loved playing pick up women's hockey at Christie Pits on Wednesday nights. We froze!!! I haven't skated one single time this winter. boohoo. It was a ridiculous 14C here today in Vancouver.

Sara @ Sew Sweetness said...

Wow, so beautiful! Congratulations on finishing!!! :-)

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Fabulous Finish! You've done a great job on that quilt..the colours really pop and your photo of it is perfect! Thanks for sharing!

Nanette Merrill said...

Such great pictures! Love the quilt. Love the photos.