Friday, January 16, 2009

A Tale of Two Baby Quilts: Part 1 Baby Girl

My sister-in-law is expecting her first baby any day. And while I loved not knowing the sex of my own two babies until their 'birthday,' when it comes to creating for new little ones, I hate not knowing if the baby is a boy or a girl. This time around, I was sick of making gender-neutral quilts, so I made two instead!


It has been a very long time since I made a really 'girly' quilt, so I started with some beautiful pink and yellows for the baby girl quilt. I used a pattern from Fons & Porter's Easy Quilts Magazine I really love quilts that go together really quick and easy and this pattern was perfect. And because of the tiny sashing strips, I didn't even have to worry about lining up the seams. I haven't finished binding yet, but I'm very happy with how it turned out.
I even pieced the back! It's a little crooked, but I love how the nine-patch breaks up the back.


It was also the first quilt that I attempted to free-motion stipple quilt. I have done a few smaller projects (pillows, doll quilt, place mats) but this was the first real quilt that I have done without the safety net of my walking foot. Again, it isn't perfect - the stitch length varies considerably, but I am slowly learning to throw out my quest for perfection. (And let me tell you, having two kids in two years really helps with that quest!)


So now I'll I have to do is sit down and finish (and start) hand sewing the binding. (Did I mention that I really don't like hand sewing?!?)

I'll post some photos of the boy quilt soon.

Barb










0 comments: