Sunday, February 27, 2011

Spicing Up the Kitchen Swap

I just participated in a fabulous new swap over on flickr called Spicing Up the Kitchen. The swap is organized by Erin and Darci and there is an amazing pool of quilters participating. My partner received her goodies yesterday, so I can finally spill the beans about my projects.

Placemats, hotpads and magnets.

I was lucky to get Darci as my secret partner. It was a bit intimidating to have one of the Swap Mamas to sew for, but Darci is so sweet (we've swapped fabric a few times before this) I was more than happy to make something for her new kitchen.

The only problem was that Darci had pretty specific requests: I-Spy placemats for her two daughters and green. I was pretty sure that if I posted any of my progress photos to the flickr pool she'd know immediately that they were for her. Instead, Erin and I decided to lead her along for a bit. I posted a photo of bright rainbow colours and kitchen prints. Darci specifically said, No kitchen prints.

Okay, time to fess up...I'm not sewing with these fabrics anytime soon. But they are pretty, aren't they?

In truth, I pulled out some favourite fabrics and kept the design simple. I didn't want the images to be lost in a complicated design. And because I'm pregnant. My brain is mush.


I finally cut into my FFA2. Isn't sleeping beauty sweet?

Darci plans to decorate her kitchen with green, so I made her and her hubby each a green placemat to coordinate with the girls. It might be a bit of green overload (I'm wishing I used aqua for the binding) but I figure Mother Nature likes green overload too and she's a pretty good designer.

It turns out I have a pretty good green stash of fabrics - here are 35 different charms.

To complete the package, I made a couple of pot holders and some fridge magnets.
I added some aqua to these...it isn't easy being all green!

I love the fridge magnets - very easy to make and a great way to use some favourite fabrics.

These were so fun, quick and easy to make. I need some now for my kitchen!

I'm so happy that Darci received the placemats yesterday...I was beginning to look like a complete swap flake because I hadn't posted any sewing to the flickr pool. I was worried I was actually going to have to make something out of the fabrics I posted.

Set of four placemats for Darci.

Thanks Erin and Darci for a fun swap. I can't wait for round 2. And of course, to receive my goodies.

12 comments:

Lexilooo said...

those are adorable!

Darci said...

I am glad that you didn't bind the placemats in blue I just love all the green and my kitchen totally needed the green! Seriously Barb you hit a totally homerun and everything is totally me! I love it all.

You totally through me a curve I couldn't for the life of me figure out who my partner was since I really hadn't seen any green :) Erin was laughing at the joke when I called and told her I got my package from you.

Trisha said...

I love that you posted "fake" photos of the fabric you were not going to use. Brilliant! Love what you did with your partner's requests. Amazing!

QuiltNut Creations said...

absolutely love these!

~Michelle~ said...

Oh chick, you did such a great job with these! :)

amylouwhosews said...

These are amazing! Way to fool her too! I'll have to remember that for future swaps!

Jacey said...

Your fake-out was genius. That's a great idea when a partner is specific in their request. Your placemats are so lovely, and I'm sure Darci's kiddos will love using them.

Emily C said...

you have the cutest fabrics! i'm jealous.

Nanette Merrill said...

So so so cute.

Kelsey said...

Those magnets are amazing...how did you make those?!?! Please share!

ButtonMad said...

Those fridge magnets are such a great idea. And I love the green placemats...lovely work.

peaknits said...

I think this is so clever! Nice idea - and so beautifully done!