Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Doll Quilt Update

One of the reasons that I shouldn't start new projects right now (other than of course that I never actually finish my projects) is that I have a few obligations to complete first.

One of the most pressing is my quilt for Doll Quilt Swap 10.  I've had my plan in place for quite a while, but I needed the courage to actually get going on it. Of course, the deadline didn't hurt either.
(Sorry for this awful photo...I really need to work on my lighting!)

I'm going for the FMF effect here. Blind my partner with Flea Market Fancy, and hopefully she/he won't notice the flaws in the construction of the quilt. I think my partner will love both the FMF and the cathedral window design. I used this tutorial. (Here is part two). I also read this great post/tutorial that has tons of great suggestions on how to make a cathedral windows block. 

I'm counting on using buttons like in this pillow to hide where my points don't match up.

I think the trickiest part was actually folding the fabric but now that I'm at the sewing stage it seems to be going pretty fast. I love how the white gives some separation to all those bright prints. It also makes a difference what kind of fabric you use for the background. I bought some very soft Japanese cotton from my LQS because I loved the feel of it, but I think it is just too soft for this pattern to get a nice, crisp fold. Perhaps good old Kona Cotton would have been a better choice. I know for next time (if there is a next time!) Wouldn't this pattern be beautiful to showcase some of my favourite Heather Ross prints?!?

Thanks for all your great comments on the price of fabric from the last post. It seems folks in NZ have it much worse than us Canadians. But I'm impressed with how many of you work to support local shops.

Happy Sewing!

5 comments:

Trisha said...

This is so gorgeous! And what a treasure with all those sought after fabrics. Whoever gets this is SO lucky.

Diane said...

Wow! This is beautiful! Nice job on it.

Holly said...

This is gorgeous, Barb! I've been fascinated with the Cathedral Windows pattern, but haven't tried it out yet. Great job!

Angela said...

I really want to try out this pattern...it's high on my to do list. I'm sure I'll do it like you are doing: make a quilt for someone else. I think that it's the perfect pattern for a mini quilt.

And who wouldn't love your fabric choices? Did you ever get any help with ironing disaster and bleeding fabric? I was so sad for you!

Nanette Merrill said...

Oh my gosh. I want one of these. I love this so much. It is lovely really really lovely.