Sunday, January 12, 2014

I Swoon for Heather Ross

Happy New Year everyone!

Although I am trying to cut down on swaps and bees, I joined the Munki in the Middle Bee last fall. I love this bee because I get to use all of my favourite (and much hoarded Heather Ross fabrics) and it includes a great bunch of women. We've been making + plus x blocks, and lots of stars, all with beautiful Heather Ross centres.

Once I had all of my lovelies pulled out, I couldn't resist making something for myself too. I was inspired by the Swoon wall hanging that is hanging in the background of Camille's Craftsy class. One lone Swoon block surrounded by a big white border. But I wanted to use as many of my HR fabrics as possible, so I went with more of a scrappy colour scheme.



I forced the pattern a bit. I know that most of my blues/aquas are actually white/low volume, but I wanted the sushi, fish in bags and giant octopus in there, so I made it work. I moved a couple of blocks around.




And then added a big 6" white border.



I was going to simply quilt this with cross-hatch pattern, and then I had a much better idea. I'm sending this quilt off to Chelsea on Monday to be custom long-arm quilted. Chelsea already sent me some ideas for the quilting, think swirls and pebbles, and I am so excited. Originally I thought I would hang it in the girls' room, but now I think it is calling to be in my sewing room. Is it crazy for a grown woman to love Heather Ross so much?

And finally, thank you so much for all of your kind words of support on my last post about moving. We found out last week that we are moving back to Prince George. And I'm very happy. We know people there. They have all the activities and schooling options that I want. We are hoping that the kids and I can stay here until the school year is over, but we'll see how things go. You know how it goes, "the best-laid schemes o' mice an 'men gang aft agley." 

Sorry about the Robbie Burns reference. My Highland Dancing group is madly preparing for our Robbie Burns Night!

3 comments:

Alisa said...

I quite like the block! And now you'll gave many of your favourites in the same quilt.

Glad you are moving to Prince George. I've never been there but would love to some day (maybe on our way further up north). Our church denomination has a church plant that we'd love to visit.

Take care of yourself!

9patchnurse said...

I love it! I am also hoarding Heather Ross fabrics. What a great idea to put them in the Swoon block.

Jilly said...

So glad it will be easier to settle in after this next move! What a blessing.

Also, I love this quilt. I would totally hang it in my studio - there's nothing wrong with sophisticated cute.