Sunday, January 25, 2009

Wonky Log Cabins

One of the reasons that I created this blog was because I was so inspired by the blogs I started reading around Christmas time. What beautiful quilts! One blog that has had an amazing impact on my quilting is Tallgrass Prairie Studios. One night after reading her blog and information about her Project Improv, and the Wonky Log Cabin tutorial, I rushed down to my sewing room, intent to try some for myself. I have NEVER done anything without a pattern before and Jacquie's blog seemed to waken something within me. Since this was all new to me, I didn't want to cut up any good fabric, but I saw a pile of scraps on the floor that my daughter uses to make quilts while I sew and thought that they would be perfect. I started sewing. And I loved it! First I made two, then I thought maybe I should make six for a baby quilt, then it was nine, and in the end I had 12 blocks.
I used white fabric to sash and square them which was also a bit of an experiment. Next time I will make the blocks big enough to trim to 12" finished (because that is the size of the ruler that I have) rather than using white to bring them up to the right size. In some of the blocks, the white is less than 1/4 " wide so it makes the seams very bulky. But I LOVE this quilt! I can't wait to get some backing and batting so I can quilt it. I think I will free-motion stipple quilt this one because I am saving it for me and I don't care if my stitch length changes dramatically! I am really looking forward to doing more quilts without patterns.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very beautiful... and aren't those wonkys addictive?? I've just finished one too!! Nice work!! Lx