Tuesday, January 8, 2013

A Lovely Year of Finishes

I'm a joiner. Are you? I mean, if there is a group, any group, I usually want to be part of it. Lately I've tried really hard not to join every quilt-along that is in progress. (And I am forcing myself to sit on my hands to avoid the Scrappy Trip Along...have you seen these quilts? They are stunning!) But I found a group that I think it a good fit for me today. So I'm joining.


It's called A Lovely Year of Finishes and it is hosted by Melissa and Shanna.  Each month you just pick just one thing to finish. Then you blog about it, finish it, blog about it again, and link up. I'm hoping it will help me to actually get things done. I love the idea of focusing on just one finish each month.

Over half way done!
Over half way done!
In January, my goal is to finish my Maple Leaf Rag quilt top. This baby has been over a year in the making, so it is time to finally finish it. I am trying to use my most favourite and hoarded fabrics. It is so satisfying to see them all together in one quilt.

Here are some blocks in progress:

Maple Leaf Rag - In progress
My favourite so far. Love the HR, FMF, and Red & Aqua. Sorry for the fuzzy photo!
I am going to splurge and have this top long arm quilted, so finishing to top is a huge step in finishing this quilt.

Maple Leaf Rag - In progress
A bright block!
Maple Leaf Rag - In progress
Love that bright blue Katie Jump Rope!
Maple Leaf Rag - In progress
My favourite half-block.



Wish me luck! What are you finishing in January?

PS - Thanks for all of the encouragement about blogging again. It is so fun to read all of your comments and emails.

7 comments:

~Michelle~ said...

ooh, thanks for the heads up on the Finishing group! That's my goal this year, attacking my WIP pile (well, once I get the Doll Quilt Swap done). Can't wait to see your quilt, it's going to be amazing and will probably make me want to make my own (which totally flies in the face of my finish it up goals)

Alisa said...

This one is just asking to get finished - it's gonna be gorgeous! (it already is)

Nanette Merrill said...

Gorgeous

Anonymous said...

this is gorgeous!!

Chelsea said...

That is so beautiful! I've seen a fee of these recently and really need to take that book out again - I have a lot of scraps that need dealing with.

I joined the finish along too but typical of me have procrastinated about posting! And since I know finishing anything this month is going to be hard, my project is just longarming a top donated to my guild. Kind of a cop out, but it needs to get done thius month, so I'm counting it!

If you don't have anyone local when you're done the top, let me know, I'd love to take it on!

Holly said...

What a great group! I'd love to finish one project a month. One project a year seems about more my speed these days.

How fun to see all your fav fabrics together in your Maple Leaf Rag quilt!

Suz said...

Wow an amazing quilt! Thanks for your comment on my circle skirt tutorial. It is good to hear when people are going to use it! Suz