Sunday, January 6, 2013

Amy Butler Sling

I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend. We did. We took full advantage of our last weekend before everything starts up again. Skating outside on a beautiful community rink, lots of sledding, and even an afternoon of cross-country skiing. And I even had some time to sew. My husband has been so helpful lately in giving me chunks of time to just sew. And the kids are getting some quality time with their dad. What could be better?

AB Birdie Sling
Don't you love that hint of orange peaking through?

Today I am happy because I finally made and mailed an Amy Butler Birdie Sling that has been on my to do list for way, way too long. Like 2 years too long. The back story is that my mom's friend bought me the pattern and asked me to make one for her. This same friend knits gorgeous socks and sweaters for my kids. I will often go to the mailbox and find 2 or 3 pairs of hand knit socks waiting for me. So I felt a ton of pressure. That put me back 6 months.

Then I had to choose some fabric. I know what I like, but I have so much trouble choosing for someone else. That part delayed me for at least a year. I finally settled on some Amy Butler Love for the main and handle, and a fun orange kona solid (sorry I forget the name) for the inside.

I know everyone and their dog has made a Birdie Sling, but it has always intimidated me. I made her Nappy Bag a few years ago, and to be honest, I wasn't all that impressed. But when my mom was visiting at Christmas time (read: entertaining all three kids), I managed to cut out all of the fabric, interfacing and fusible fleece. That was the hardest part. Then after she left, I just had to sew it together. And to be honest, it went together pretty well.

AB Birdie Sling
AB Birdie Sling made with AB Love fabric

The only part I'm not thrilled with is the final top-stitching on the top edge of the bag (notice there is no close up picture). I had a heck of time getting it nice and straight. And I probably should have taken it out and tried again, but I was just so happy that it was done, that I didn't bother. And I didn't want to risk another 6 months. Hopefully she doesn't look too close.

So the final verdict on this pattern is a thumbs up. I like the size of the bag, and the round shape and pleats make it quite stylish. I didn't love the top stitching, but I think if I use thinner fusible interfacing it will go better next time. Next time? Yup, I think I'll make another. Hopefully it won't take me 2 years to make!

10 comments:

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

I've made a few Birdies, but none for me Yet. I love the Love fabric you used but I have not been able to find that one anywhere. I used what I had for a ruffled romper for my granddaughter.

Jilly said...

So glad you're back blogging, Barb!

I love the fabric choices, and I'm sure she won't notice the topstitching (or she'll happily overlook it if she does)

We had tons of snow in Montreal, so our boys spent all week making snowforts.

Poppyprint said...

I think it is a gorgeous bag! AB bags are so tricky. From here, your topstitching looks amazing. I feel your procrastination pain, Barb. I am going to try really hard not to fall into a lot of obligated sewing this year. I really, really want to finish a bunch of stuff for myself but I never get to it because I have all this stuff I feel I must do first. Glad you had some nice sewing time over the holidays! Happy new year.

Holly said...

Great to see you blogging again, Barb! I think the bag looks fabulous and your fabric choices are great. The pop of orange in the lining is so much fun! Kudos to the husband for giving you sewing time!

Best Hindi & English Shayari said...

This is a Very very nice article. Everyone should read. Thanks for sharing. Don't miss WORLD'S BEST Shayari

Shayari
hindi shayari
urdu shayari
attitude shayari
dosti shayari
sad shayari
romantic shayari
Funny Shayari
dard bhari shayari
love shayari
eyes shayari
good morning shayari
good night Shayari
Shayari4All

Yakshita said...

Your blog is filled with unique good articles! I was impressed how well you express your thoughts.

hamraaz app 6.52 download latest version, hamraaz App, how to open payslip in hamraaz app

Yakshita said...

Thank you for posting such a great article! It contains wonderful and helpful posts. Keep up the good work

Kaveri Online Services, Kaveri Online - Karnataka Govt Service@ kaverionline.karnataka.gov.in, Online Registration/Login

Rosi smith said...


Call Target's Customer service number, or go to Target's Website to verify the Balance Congratulations on your Target gift card . Have to buy another Target gift card ?

Unknown said...

Make a customized skin with your preferred meme from Settings to customize your experience. Much wow, so Doge!
capital One Login
american express login
ethereum wallet
gemini exchange
blockchain wallet

Şule KAYA said...

Nice article, thanks for the information. If you are interested in medical treatment in turkey, I definitely recommend looking skin cancer treatment in turkey.